Re: alfalfa and heart rate (long)

Teddy Lancaster wrote:

> PLEASE....alfalfa in the EAST is NOT like alfalfa in the west.  I
> feed 80% alfalfa ALL YEAR and IN COMPETITION with NO PROBLEMS and
> have done so for 20 years.  The type of alfala is of PRIME
> importance.
>
> Teddy

Teddy, I'll agree that alfalfa varies widely from region to region, but
not to the extent that it's not still alfalfa.  The alfalfa out here (in
the SW) tends to be richer, depending on the cutting and fertilization,
and the magnesium and selenium are generally much higher.  BUT, even
"poor" alfalfa in any region is still going to run 15-18% protein, even
the first cutting crops, and it's still going to be extremely high in
calcium.  The former potentially contributing to higher plasma ammonia,
kidney load, heat load (good during winter, bad during summer) and
metabolic failure; and the latter contributing to hypercalcitoninism.

I will concede and agree with a comment Courtney Hart made during a
conversation we had, that some individuals handle alfalfa, and do
extremely well on it.  For the majority of the equine population,
however, it's better to minimize the alfalfa except for specific
scenarios (like for providing heat during the winter, lactating mares,
etc).  Teddy, I certainly won't argue that you have good horses, and
know the difference between "doing well" and "ain't doing well", but for
*most* horses, if they're doing well on alot of alfalfa, then it's
probably more in spite of the alfalfa, than because of it.:-).  Alfalfa
is a good hay, but it can also be too much of a good thing and should be
regarded more as a supplement than as a subsistence diet.

Susan G