re: alfalfa and heart rate (long)

In a message dated Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:28:49 -0700
Cheryl Newbanks <horsetrails@inficad.com> writes:

>> I would like to hear from people who USED to feed alfalfa and then
stopped...I really don't know what
to substitute for the alfalfa so that they'd have a balanced diet.  If I
wanted to stop feeding alfalfa, AND THAT IS
A BIG IF, what could I substitute for the nutrients they'd be loosing,
especially for my yearling, and maintain the energy level that a 50 miler
would need...Would beet pulp be the thing to
substitute? <<

Cheryl, (just saw your message from last week....)

I used to feed all alfalfa (because I didn't know any better) for years, and
my Arab mare had (has) the most remarkable recoveries. I don't think I ever
did a ride where one of the vets didn't remark on her low pulse (both
resting pulse at the start "Wow - that's the lowest we've seen yet" type of
comments, as well as her recoveries throughout the ride - both 50's and
100's.)

I made a lot of other mistakes with her - believe me - feeding all alfalfa
wasn't the only one. I think the greatest one was I simply didn't provide
her with enough energy to do what I asked of her. She was/is a very
successful athlete - I don't mean at all that she couldn't/didn't perform -
she top-tenned in just about every ride she did - I've just learned a lot
with her, and will be doing things differently with my next guy, an 8-yr old
ready to start in endurance. She's 15 now, and in foal.

I really had no idea what I was asking in terms of energy output, and even
less of what I was providing. I used to feed all alfalfa, wheat bran/rice
bran mix, and oats. Hmmm, a little hay (again, no appreciation for the
difference between types of hays/roughage), a little grain, a little of
this...

I now feed all grass hay when I can get it, and when I can't, I mix with
whatever else I can. Alfalfa is my last choice now. I also feed lots of beet
pulp, with some NaturalGlo or oil - for the fat content. I supplement with
Select II. It's balanced for a grass hay diet; they also have another one
for horses eating more than 8 lbs of alfalfa per day. I have been very happy
with the results of this diet.

The horses themselves are the best proof this is a good diet; they look
great, are in good flesh, are well-mannered and eager to work. (These are
two criteria near and dear to my heart, having erred on the side of both
over-feeding grain and seeing the effects of high blood sugar (eek!) and
over-work and not recognizing when she needed a break.)

So, I am now a big believer in grass hay, beet pulp (it's cheap, easy to
feed, provides additional calcium that the grass hay doesn't, and also might
balance out the higher than necessary phosphorous content from the
NaturalGlo - although I don't worry about that too much - I feed the same
amount when I'm not feeding NaturalGlo - and am sneaking in oil instead.) I
know lots of folks have good reasons for not feeding a supplement like rice
bran - but I've been happy with it. Hay, beet pulp, added fat (rice bran or
oil) and the supplement Select II. When they're not working, I don't feed as
much beet pulp or fat. The beet pulp is also great for all the added water
you can provide  - important more at rides than at home I guess.

I believe that the truly remarkable recoveries (as with my mare) are
genetic, and no amount of conditioning is going to enable a horse to drop
into the 40s and 50s within minutes (as she does - at a top ten pace) beyond
its optimal fitness. There is nothing wrong, or less fit, about a horse
recovering to 60 or 56 or 52 vs. 48 and 44. The difference, I think, is
simply that individual horse and its own physiological gifts. I do think
horses recovering only to 68 and 64 need to be managed/ridden differently to
gain optimal fitness/recovery - but that's not what you asked, is it?

Interesting that you noted a difference in energy level when feeding only
the grass hay. Try experimenting with beet pulp and extra fat over the
long-term and see if you notice an increase in energy. The beet pulp itself
isn't necessarily going to provide a huge increase in available energy -
from what I understand it's sort of a mid-level glycemic index/
"availability" type feed (with grain being on the high end of the scale in
terms of its ability to raise blood sugar, and hay being on the low end) -
but I think over the long haul, the additional roughage, the extra fat you
add to the beet pulp should combine to offer an endurance/aerobic athlete a
nice diet. Now if only I could come up with one for myself!

Ask Susan G., if you haven't already heard from her.

Good luck - and I think your horses will be fine on a dramatically decreased
alfalfa diet!

Either lurking or rambling,

Karen Callan

with Miss Sassy, gestating away, bless her semi-retired little endurance
heart,
Frisco,  Mr. 8-yr old who has yet to get a taste of it all,
and 4 yr old  Brazo - FOR SALE!!
Pilot Hill, CA