Conditioning

Byron,

Thanks for your insights into conditioning.  I've already learned some of
these lessons the hard way after our first season doing LDs.  Because I didn't
understand the importance of long, slow distance riding and "riding our own
ride", Jos pulled a suspensory at the Wolverine Canyon ride in Idaho this last
June.  Since then, we've spent the summer and fall recovering slooowly,
hand-walking and light lunging.  We've finally started doing some light trail
work and dressage lessons...so far, so good.

My strategy for the upcoming ride season is to spend lots of hours on the
trail with lots of walking, trying to condition his tendons and bones.  I hope
to try the Hell's Kitchen ride again.  It was our first LD we did alone (and I
mean alone---the whole way since I was late leaving and never caught up with
anyone!)  We definitely got to ride our own ride that time.  Can't complain
though as it was peaceful and nice to just be out there with my horse.  It
would have been a great ride except I'm directionally challenged and couldn't
figure out how to get down to the VC at the reservoir.  We came in barely over
time but we finished!!  Bruce Burnham was nice enough to give me a completion
t-shirt.

Thanks again for the info. and I'm sure we'll see you around at some of the
Utah rides.

Sheri Kuykendall and Jos
Salt Lake City, Ut