Re: Grand Staircase

Here we are again.  At the crossroads with another government agency over
trails, or trail use.  While we discuss the current funding of AERC the
membership should be made aware that in 1998 not one red cent of your dues
went to any, yes you got it right, any, trail defense fund, trail
preservation fund, trail trust fund.  We had to scrape around for a few
bucks for some folks to go to a major trails conference this year.  More
than anything right after our horses, trails are the very foundation of our
sport.  And what are we doing {AERC} to protect and preserve trails?  In
the grand scale of things, very little.  It will take a lot of money to
fend off continued  government insistance to eleminate tarils.  Are we
{AERC} going to be up to the task.  Will {AERC} take a leadershjp position
on a national basis on trail preservation?  Will we begin to set aside the
money it will take to assure ourselves that trails will be safe under the
care and watchful eye of AERC?  For those of you who want lower dues, are
you willing to lose your trails if you were unwilling to put up the money
to secure them in the first place.  There is no free lunch guys!  Its going
to cost us to stay in the game of trail usage and we might as well begin to
get used to the idea.  Or kiss a lot of our trails goodby.  It seems clear
to me that we are in for a good fight.  And its going to take a lot of
money to keep us in the game.  So if you are thinking about lower dues, at
the same time think of loosing trails.  Not an easy choice.  Jerry Fruth
AERC #441

Hickory Ridge Arabians web page:
http://www.evansville.net/~hikryrdg/

Standing JABASK KNIGHT
On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Outlaw Trail wrote...