good news on (Tevis) Western States Trail

In the past few months we have asked equestrians and horse trail lovers
to write letters to (Ca) Department of Parks and Recreation concerning
the plan they had to convert one small portion of the Western States
Trail from horse/hike to include bicycles.  This mile and 1/2 section
preceded and included the 'now famous and open No Hands Bridge'.  A
massive letter writing campaign to Parks and Rec. HQ, our local
congressmen, and various others was successful.  The request for funds
for this proposal has been withdrawn as 'too controversial'.  Thus
proving once again, organization and letter writing does pay off. In
part, a letter I have from the Director of Parks and Rec. states ' ...
Parks in in the process of identifying and alternative mountain bike
route to the Western States Trail segment in question:  this action
would exclude a mountain bike crossing of the North Fork via No Hands
Bridge'.  '..... equestrians will be allowed to "ride" across the bridge
as in the past once all the structural safety improvements have been
completed'.
so, if it is a battle, we won.  if it is a war, there are still more
battles.
as an aside, perhaps we should attempt to work with bicycle groups and
avoid some of these skirmishes.
Charles Gabri
Board of Governors
Western States Trail Foundation.