crabbing?

My gelding has very long legs. Apparently to avoid stepping on his front feet, he puts his back legs out to the side slightly at the extended trot. This almost got us pulled at Tevis because one vet thought it indicated a stifle problem. Thankfully the head vet, who had seen him trot at the preride, was there to attest that it was normal for him. I am not sure what you mean by crabbing. Could someone explain what the term means? (I have never seen a horse walk sideways like a crab, unless sidepassing. )
Mary