what does crabbing mean

Interesting responses to the crabbing issue has prompted me to
explain what I understand crabbing to mean.  Please feel free to jump
in.  Because horses trot in a diagonal gait, unlike dogs, they cannot
be compared.  When a horse "crabs", one hind leg travels to the
outside of the track, either to the left or right, while the other
steps in or under the horse, thus bearing most of the weight. The
"outside" leg is the one being compensated for.  Many horses will do
this very happily and switch back and forth.  My observations have
shown that the more tired the horse, the more obvious the crabbing.
The two horses that I had both crabbed in one direction, thus working
one hind leg more than the other - one did it all the time to various
degrees.  As work increased, ie top tenning 50's, the crabbing became
more severe until they finally ended up with hind end lameness.  We
tried chiro and acupuncture and massage and all the stuff.  The
problem was consistant enough to end their trail days.
Interestingly, both have very sucessful careers other than distance
riding and have never been lame since.  It woud be interesting to
hear of any other similar experiences.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.com
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall