Re: heart rates & recovery

Oops, I'm afraid I misphrased what I was thinking when I wrote this:

> I may be speaking out of my depth here, since I'm still new to endurance,
> but I don't think a horse is ever pulled or passed based on the heart rate
> alone <SNIP>

Of course horses are pulled on the heart rate alone because that's the
AERC rule, but horses are rarely passed on heart rate alone, no?  Or do
they have to be passed if they aren't lame and the HR meets criteria?

What I meant to explore is the underlying principle of the established
rule:  heart rate is used as the definitive criteria because it's an
easily determined, objective measurement that has been tracked for many
years now on endurance horses doing endurance rides. Putting that rule
aside for purposes of this discussion, a horse probably wouldn't be pulled
or passed on heart rate alone.  It holds prominence on the list of things
to look at because of its uniquely objective and obvious nature. Can CK
levels and hydration meet those same tests of objectivity and easy
measurement?

I think Linda's comments about building a database on these other
parameters are right on point.  Certainly we don't want to turn our backs
on additional information, but I'm very sceptical about discarding HR as a
measure of fitness to continue, at least at this point in time.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region