Re: heart rates & recovery

In a message dated 12/22/98 11:40:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:

<< I would think that the other stuff you mentioned (CK, glucose, cortisol)
 would be interesting, but we'd really need to establish a "baseline
 normal" for a healthy exercising distance horse before it could be used
 to evaluate a horse's ability to continue.  Do we have established
 parameters for these labs in a working horse?  In sprinters?  In
 endurance?

After a hard race or workout, CK in the horse will climb to 250-350, so
running elevated CKs would suggest muscle damage. Cortisol normals have been
established and used for markers of physical or emotional stress. Glucose
normals also exist, but I don't know how they play out in an endurance horse
in terms of recovery.

It is good that the other parameters you mentioned are being used.

ti