Re: Maiden Mares/Old Mares

In a message dated 12/17/98 8:10:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
virginia.m.wilson@lmco.com writes:

<< > I"ve just had a foal from a 15 y.o. maiden mare that has been in
 > competition
 > all her life (shes in really good shape) and I'm curious about the
 > comments
 > on Older Mares having foals...What is considered "old" in foaling
 > standards? >>

"Old" mare problems can start as early as mid teens, but in Arab mares, are
more likely to occur in mares in their 20's.  The primary problems I encounter
in foals that are carried to term are placental insufficiency and "windswept"
foals--actually really part of the same syndrome.  (One gets smaller
foals--sometime very tiny--and sometimes they can be lacking in vigor.  The
windswept babies are born with very distinctive crooked legs, and usually
recover to become normal with careful management.)  Really old mares sometimes
begin to have a decline in colostrum quality (also sometimes a problem in
maiden mares) so if in doubt, a check for the level of passive immunity is
sometimes indicated.  Every case is individual, though, and must be managed as
such.

Heidi