Bells

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:14:53 -0500
From: Cynthia Eyler <eyler@mindspring.com>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Bells during hunting season
For the past two years, along with wearing an orange vest, I've sewn
bells onto saddle pouches, velcro strips, etc. in an attempt to avoid
being shot by bow hunters (thank heavens I don't have to worry about
guns where I ride).  But those bells from JoAnn fabrics just never
seemed to make enough noise.
 This year I ordered harness bells on a biothane strap from Centack and
the difference is tremendous.  I feel much safer. My horse has never
paid any attention to the bells, but hikers and bicyclists we've run
across sure think they're cute.  The hunters I've seen just smile
tightly, thinking of all the deer we've frightened away, I guess.
This is an unsolicited endorsement.  I just wanted to share news of what
I think is a good product.
Cindy Eyler
Baltimore
Thanks Cindy,
 I also have bells on my saddle. The people I ride with jokingly give me
a hard time about them. Sometimes it is hard to hear what people are
saying while we're riding. But I like the idea of letting other people
or animals that I'm around. My horse doesn't mind them now and I was
able to buy some bells with red ribbons for the Christmas parade. They
were much louder than the regular kind. Will try to fine the harness
bells.
 My friend rode in the Tevis and said that the bells were supposed to
keep bears away. Can't see how a little bell would keep a huge bear away
from you, but if it works I'm for it. Not that I have seen many bears in
southern Ill. lately. :-) But the hunters are always around it seems.