Re: Awards Ceremony

Teddy, Steve, and others are correct about the "booing" at the awards
ceremony.  In the Middle East, this is the "polite" way of the locals showing
support for their favorites and countrymen.  No slur intended.  It is no
different than the South Americans putting on such a screaming show in support
of their own horses at the vet-in--more similar to our own customs, but still
not something our country did.  It is sad that these customs were not
discussed in advance among the westerners not familiar with that part of the
world so that all would know what to expect.  Behavior that constitutes good
manners is not necessarily universal, and to take offense at what happened at
the awards ceremony in Dubai is merely letting one's ignorance of other
cultures show.  I was seated just about in the rafters of the stadium, right
next to a whole section of "locals"--they were truly having a good time, and
not the least bit hostile.  During all of this, one local who was obviously a
maintenance man for the stadium was making sure that I had a comfortable chair
(those of us in the upper row were on a bench) and sharing nuts, other snacks,
and Coca Cola.  All in all, I found the UAE to be a very friendly country,
albeit with many cultural twists that constantly made me aware that I was not
at home.  I would love to go back if I am ever fortunate enough to have the
opportunity.  I think the most disappointing part of my trip was the behavior
of a few individual Americans that so obviously labeled them as the inevitable
"ugly Americans"--fortunately these individuals were in the definite minority,
and as a whole, things went very well.

Will share more experiences in later posts--hard to sum it all up at once.

Heidi