Re: Horse Kicking

Hi,

Just a note   on training which  might help.  When I first started my
young mare, she would kick if horses came up on her. I did carry a
short  whip and "thumped " her on the shoulder when she did so.  I
finally figured out  that  mostly she was "frightened" as the others ran
up behind her.  (Mares are usually more prone to this than geldings.)

We did quite a lot ot "practice"riding  then with friends, and I would
ask them to SLOWLY  ride up beind me so she knew they were coming, and
if she gave her" signal" to kick  I would speak quite loudly to her, and
"thump" her on the shoulder.  The combination of letting her know
nothing "bad" was going to happen to her from behind, and also
expressing my disapproval(and approval when she did not kick) worked
wonders.  We"speeded up" the riding from behind, and she gradually she
got over it.  It took a while, however, and I did put a ribbon in her
tail at rides for a long time, just to be sure.(Later, I read this was
bad because you were then admitting your horse was a kicker and if sued,
it would be worse on you.  oh well...I still felt I needed to warn
others......)

Maybe this will help with yours, I hope so....Maureen.