Paper of interest

Here's something I came across today--a paper concerning heartrate monitoring
in endurance athletes. I'm quoting just a small section. Focus on Point 3.

ti

Authors	ML Otoole, PS Douglas, WDB Hiller
Title	Use of Heart-Rate Monitors by Endurance Athletes - Lessons from
Triathletes
Full source	Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 1998, Vol 38, Iss
3, pp 181-187

"The main findings pertinent to the use of heart rate monitors are 1)
estimated maximal heart rates are too variable to be of use to precisely guide
training pace during cycling or running, 2) during prolonged (>6 h) cycling or
running, a highly trained athlete may expect to exercise at an average
intensity close  to 80% HRmax, but should also expect intensity to decline by
6-7% during the cycle ride or run, and 3) submaximal exercise heart rates
following prolonged exercise are not useful for judging completeness of
recovery."