Re: Who Was on the US Squad?

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:45:00 -0800, "navion" <navion@lightspeed.net> wrote:

>Lets look at the situation this way.  Cash is pulled at the first vet check,
>obviously a very good decision that he was not on the team.

>Jedi ties up 7 days before the ride and is lame 3 days before the ride. Who
>would think this horse is a good choice for the team? Certainly not me.  I'm
>sure sometimes the choice of team horses is tough but this time it doesn't
>look so tough.

Absolutely.  The results demonstrates clearly what some of us were saying about
the importance of choosing your most consistent and reliable finishers for the
team, including *not* choosing a great horse who is showing possible problems.
It is common for the winners of the individual medals to not be team riders,
because going after an individual medal requires a higher-risk strategy.

Look at the Gold Medal team:  their highest finishing position was 22nd place!
They won the Gold on consistency, not speed.

My hearty CONGRATULATIONS! to the New Zealand team for their outstanding
achievement.

(Oh, and it's too bad I didn't make that bet with Carl about the Aussies beating
the U.S.)

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net