From: Joe Long <jlong@mti.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Sanctioniong of AERC Rides

>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 07:45:01 -0700, "Robert Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net>
wrote:

>>I have been following the discussions of the new Limited Distance
definition of rides 0 to 49 miles in length. I have noticed that several
Ride Managers have mentioned that rather than put on LD rides in conjunction
with their regular Endurance ride they are considering going to the CTR
format and thus circumvent the AERC fees.

>>Please explain to me how this circumvention fits into the AERC Rules and
Regulations  while a non sanctioned "Pleasure Ride" does not. I have perused
the AERC Rule Book and can find no reference to such a situation and in fact
do not find any direct mention of CTR's at all. Nor do I find any mention of
the AERC accepting the sanctioning of any thing other than "Endurance Rides"
and "Limited Distance Rides".

>>Would it not then be in contravention of AERC Rules and Regulations if the
UMECTRA Group continues to hold their joint endurance and CTR rides under
the same venue? Would it not then be in contravention of AERC Rules and
Regulations if the several Ride Managers, I have heard express the intent to
hold CTR's, also do this?

>>If I am incorrect in my assumption please direct me to the pertinent
sections of the AERC Rules and Regulations, the AERC By-laws and or the AERC
Articles of Incorporation. Realize also, these three documents are the only
governing items for our organization. Ride Manager's Handbooks and other
such policies are not governing documents.If rides under other venues, such
as CTR, are to be allowed, then the supporting documents must be changed.

>Rule 1.4 says "Limited Distance Rides may be offered but must be sanctioned
into
>the AERC Limited Distance Program ..."
>
>The recent Bylaws change defines rides less than 50 miles in length as
Limited
>Distance rides.
>
>However, it should be clear to anyone that the only rides that can fit that
>definition are rides that meet the endurance/LD format as defined by AERC.
As
>Competitive Trail Rides have a minimum time limit, along with other rules
that
>do not meet the AERC definition of an endurance/LD ride, they are clearly
*not*
>endurance or LD rides -- and do not require (and can not get) AERC
sanction.

>The very fact that nowhere in the AERC rules, Bylaws, etc. are Competitive
Trail