Re: saddle/shoe fit analogy

Sally Spangler wrote:

> Having seen this analogy for years, I finally have to chime in:  I think
> comparing saddle fit to shoe fit doesn't quite fit.  A more congruent
> comparison is saddle and backpack.  Judicious padding will definitely
> alleviate some problems with either one providing the misfit is not severe.

Hi, Sally!

First of all, I am NOT much of a backpacker.  I've never carried more
than a day pack, so please correct any faulty assumptions that I make
about rigid frame packs.

I see saddles with rigid trees allowing only so much breadth from panel
to panel.  This must sit down and envelope the withers area, then spread
out and flatten as it moves further down the horse's back.  The width of
the withers & saddle <must> match (along with many other areas) or you
start with saddle fit problems.

I see rigid frame packs (or even day packs) causing pressure on the
shoulders from the straps.  My understanding is that the rigid frames
help distribute some of the weight to the lower back/hips and must be
the appropriate length based on the length of your torso.  (Help - where
are all the back packers on the list?)  Padding these pressure points
will alleviate discomfort and rubbing, but the areas that are in
question are not confined by the width of the frame wrapping around the
person.

I guess another analogy, other than tight shoes, might be hats.  A size
7 hat won't fit a size 7 1/2 head.  You may squash it onto your head,
but it will be too tight.  Padding that hat band won't relieve the
pressure, rather it would make the effective size of the hat even
smaller.

I think the back pack analogy would only hold true if the saddle simply
lay on the flat top of the back rather than enveloping the sides of the
horse near the withers.

I'm with you on over padding saddles and having unstable rides.  I had a
saddle flip over under the horse when I rode friends horse.  She was
using 3 Woolbacks underneath to "protect him".  I noticed that she NEVER
made fast corners!  :-)

Linda Flemmer