leaving after the pack

>  Next, I think
> I will start leaving after the pack so I can ride my own ride instead of
> getting sucked into the pack's ride.

Just a thought - I've never finished an endurance race (being a dyed in
the wool CTR-er) because the one i ever had a chance to do, I did on my
VERY SEASONED ctr horse (1,000+ mi).  She was plenty fit for the job,
but when we finished the first 25 loop & came back to base camp -- and
then I saddled up to do the 2nd loop -- she thought i was off my rocker!

The situation is, though, that I had decided to hold her back and leave
after the pack to avoid her racing (which was always an issue for 10
miles or so) and when we got back to camp for the hold after 25, there
was nobody there.  So when we went out again I couldn't get her
motivated. We did 7 miles before I just gave up.  She saw nobody on the
horizon, the hills were big . . .

So basically my comment is I'd watch out leaving late on a horse who's
already having issues about whether he's "done yet" or not.

Good luck!!
-Abby