Re: SADDR

In a message dated 12/7/98 9:59:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
csabe@servicepaper.com writes:

<<
 Dear Doc Bielec,
 Suggestions for the following ailments would be greatly appreciated:
 1.Short Term Memory Loss(STML), a side-effect of DIMR.  I can remember every
 minute of all my rides last season, but I can't remember what I did
 yesterday.  I keep misplacing my keys but you can bet your bottom dollar I
 know where my hoof pick and favorite rubber groomers with the "magic
 fingers" are....
 2. Chronic Calendar Watching (CCW)...countdown to the start of next season,
 104 days until Spring.......I can give you hours and minutes if you
 want.. >>

Dear Cathy:

Ahhh yes, these are also fairly common complaints associated with SADDR.  The
symptoms described in number 1 can be helped but not entirely elminated.  Some
of the STML is brought about by the change in your diet as I described in my
adjustment, it is wise to sprinkle your food with hay dust and grain.  Any
type that you had previously been ingesting large quanities of during the
active riding season will be fine.  The main point is to keep your feeding
schedule, quaility and type as close to normal.   You will still have a
certain amount of STML though. I suggest you sew/attach several D rings on
your clothing for easy attachment of needed articles which you may normally
misplace, i.e.  car keys, spatula, remote, kids, and oh yes, the ever faithful
sponge.

2.  CCW- No need to give me  the hours and minutes until next ride season, I
already know them. I have found a  couple useful ideas to minimize this
painful symtom. Set all clocks, compters, calendars to within one week of the
first ride next    season which you plan to go on.  Each week, reset them all
to this date.  This fools your mind and body into thinking it is just around
the corner, thus, helping ease the pain.  Also, with the associated STML, you
will probably forget you have done this which will make it that much more
convincing.

I also suggest you get one of those machines that plays soothing, relaxing
sounds like waterfalls, birds singing, etc.  These will help with the illusion
of riding trails and spring weather.  Avoid sounds like rainfall, lightning
and wolves howling.   Hmmm, whale and dolphin songs might not be too good
either.

While you are grabbing the rope halter to walk your dog, do not forget to grab
the "lead rope".

Sincerely and with great apologies,
Doc Lori