ROC-picking up the torch

I have been reading the recent posts about the end of the ROC and  I feel
that I need to make a statement. I usually just lurk, but every now and then,
something really jerks my chain.
After having just qualified my horse with 5 hundreds for the specific goal of
riding the ROC, I am very disappointed in losing this opportunity to compete
in that event.
But, know what? I have a new goal for 1999, because someone else HAS picked up
the torch. The Cosequin in north west Virginia sponsored by the Virginia
Trails Conservatory.  Now, before you Cosequin critics start screaming foul,
let me just point out a few things in common. Also, I know first hand  because
I have been to the ROC in Fort Amstrong in 1997 and also the Cosequin in 1998.

Both have qualifying rules for the horse and rider. Actually the Cosequin has
a lesser requirment which allows for more people and horses to compete.
Both have similiar priced entry fees.
Both have international attention.
Both have great trails.
Both have parties complete with dancing and live entertainment
Both have great camping areas in nice level fields. Both have a barn for
stabling.
Both have first class vets. Some of the same ones.
Both serve great food.
Great awards. (All finishers at the Cos. got a 180.00 certificate for a
container of Cosequin--50 milers included. ) They also had a drawing and gave
away about 30 helmets and about 30 easy boots. Everyone got something!! ?Even
those who did not finish!! Me.

Now, what is the problem, folks? For those of you on the east coast, this is
in your back yard.  This is your chance to put your money where your mouth is.
Usually the ROC was 2500 miles away. How could many except those from the left
coast go? Back about 8 or 9 years ago, Susan had the ROC at Land Between the
Lakes in Kentucky.  She had a terrible turn out.  Hardly anyone from west of
the Mississippi came and only a few top riders from the east coast showed up.
Ofcourse, now I now things have changed and a lot more riders are doing
endurance locally.
An added bonas of the Cosequin is that they offer a 50 mile race with NO
QUALIFICATIONS!!!! Those new riders that are bringing horses along can come
and enjoy the fun, experience the thrill of seeing great horses and riders,
learn a few things about  endurance by just walking around and observing how
these riders are feeding, cooling, vetting through, etc. You can talk to very
experienced riders--A chance to compete and learn and be there without having
to have a 100 mile horse and not having to travel to the other side of the
United States.

Yes, I know , there is the old argument about a big money stakes ride. So
what!! I argue that a check for 7500.00 for a horse trailer for the winner is
no different than
a big check that you can put in your pocket and use for something else. So,
that argument is old and worn out.  Besides, if you feel a moral obligation
not to compete in the money ride, you can pay the entry fe to enter only the
open AERC ride(no qualifications required)  and not be included in the
Cosequin Challenge ride that offers the money. So, you can ride the
unqualified 50, the Cosequin Challenge division or just the  open AERC
division. Then if you are a member of IAHA, they have a division for that too.
OR, you can enter all three at once or the 50. So, there you go.

If this isn't picking up the torch, I don't know what is.

One more little thing that really upsets me.  There is the complaint about the
Kanavy's winning the Cosequin and also being involved in the management. Well
guess what? If they weren't involved at all, and lived in California, they
would still top 5 this ride. They win every where they go. They have won the
last 3 of the 4 ROC races.  They simply are the best, most serious and
dedicated riders that I know of.

I hope many more of you will come next year to the Cosequin and have a great
time. I did and I am going back!! See you on the trail.
Ivey Daughtridge