cost to ride managers,Juniors,etc.

I keep reading these posts and am rather amazed at how this $10 thing has hit
some people.  I was on the AERC board for 4 years and when we added the fee
for the longer distances, I thought it was crazy not to add it too the limited
distance also. It seems other places don't do this, but all the rides I have
ever attended in the southeast and many in the midwest and northeast, always
give the same awards for the LD riders. same shirts, same top 10(if that many
are in the ride) same vets are used, same trail same meal, etc. last year at
Stampede thru the Horsepark, we gave them top 20!  They may ride less miles,
but they cost me the exact same as the longer distance. same
insurance,santioning,etc. We noticed that after they added the $10 fee to
50's, we had alot of people join AERC that never did before, and then they
really started enjoying it more, started looking for their ride results,
looking for more rides to attend and read the arrticles in the magazine.

As for juniors, I charge $20.00 for all distances(25,50 and 2-day 100) I too
have had a junior in tow for many miles on the trail and always appreciate
this deal. In fact, It is one of the reasons we always go to Michigan rides.
Only 15$ so we take a junior for our spare horse.

Our club was just about broke several years ago and now we are coming out of
the woods and are looking for solid ground. If you wnat to support the sport
that puts on the rides, join the club. It is a great time and lots of great
people.

Believe me, I am one of those riders who's rig doesn't match, and in fact,
bummed a ride for my first 3000 miles, having no trailer of my own. I have
managed many rides and I feel like the 10$ fee won't hurt me a bit. I have
only lost money once,never really made much, but breaking even was the goal.

amy whelan,
chicken chase endurance ride manager