From: Dbeverly4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 22:22:41 EST
To: khavera@hotmail.com
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Kids Ride Free!!!!

Having been involved with 4-H on a minor scale (volunteer judged
schooling-
type events) I am heartily in favor of the basics that 4-H teaches.  It
is a
wonderful horse care program.  I would hope that AERC could 'afford' to
sponsor junior riders (maybe 16 and under ??) on a freebie basis, it
would be
a nice touch.  Unfortunately, judging by the hoo-hah over a $10 LD fee,
don't see that happening in the near future!  I must be missing
something, and
I certainly don't want to prolong the $10 LD discussion, but if $10 is
such a
big deal, maybe these people can't afford to ride!  Horses are not an
inexpensive venture ( as we all know too well).  Especially when you
start
competing them and putting them to the stresses of competition.  They
deserve
the best of care available (costs way more than $10 per ride, I'm sure).
If
you can't provide that for your horse, maybe you shouldn't be out there.
I'm
not referring to the value of your rig (mine is an old suburban and a
reasonably good Logan horse trailer--once again, horse gets better
accommodations!)  However, the basic care of an endurance horse is
beyond even
that of a well cared for show horse (yes, I've had both).  Endurance
horses by
definition do more than most equine atheletes.  If you can afford to
care for
an endurance horse properly, 10 bucks per ride isn't much of an issue.
Don't
worry, I'm ducking already, please no mean responses --  Sylvia