Re: 1,570 Voted!!!

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:01:17 -0700, renegade12@juno.com (Randy H
Eiland) wrote:

>About 5,000 ballots were sent out and 1,570 ballots were returned!!  30%
>voter turnout...Well, that 30% really surprised and disappointed me by
>approving the Bylaws Change making 0 to 49 miles Limited Distance.  Joe,
>tell me more about CTR..just kidding.

> I hope I am wrong, but a true Pandora box of potential problems may
>occur because of this change.  Remember, since it is now a Bylaw , the
>only way we can change it is with another membership vote...not quite
>as easy as changing a bad rule.    I am concerned with both ends of this
>change..the less than 25 miles and the more than 35 miles.  Here is why:

<rest snipped>

Lord, Lord, this is bad news.  I really fear that the AERC has shot
itself badly in the foot this time.

The rules have explicitly disallowed "rounding up" 47.5 - 49.9 miles
to 50 miles for some time; but due to the 36-49 mile "limbo"
everyone's pretty much looked the other way on this.  No longer.  As
you point out, if the true distance is below 50, even 49.9, it's a
Limited Distance ride.

And, now any 15 mile "fun" ride will be an LD ride.  What will happen
if someone applies to sanction a ten-mile ride, or a five-mile ride?
How can the AERC say no, when the Bylaws define a five-mile ride as an
LD ride?  I assume these rides are all now going to be recorded and
count toward the LD awards.

Yes, the fee is now the least of our problems.  But speaking  for
myself, I now have no choice but to use CTR's (a 15 and a 30) along
with the AERC 50 at the Moonlight Madness.    My  50 mile trail is OK
... its actually 52 miles.  If the AERC refuses to sanction an
endurance ride that has CTR's running at the same event, what happens
to all of the Midwest rides?  I know what will happen to the MM --
I'll have to cancel.  I've held off applying for sanction to see how
the vote was going to turn out, so at least I won't lose the
application fees!

Fasten your seat belts, folks ... it's going to be a bumpy ride.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net