Re: Non-member fee

Barbara McCrary wrote:
>No, it goes toward paying to keep track of miles for the NON-members. >

Thank you - that's the answer I've been looking for. Maybe then there
should be a check box for YES - I'll pay $10 so AERC can keep track of
my miles that I can BUY back later; or NO - don't keep track of my miles
and I won't pay $10.

> Try to imagine what would happen if AERC suddenly disappears --
>no goals (year-end awards, mileage, etc.).

So, if non-members don't pay their fee, AERC's existence is threatened?
This seems highly unlikely. I was speaking for those riders who may only
do a few rides a year and don't mind paying sanction and per rider fees,
but would like to opt out of other membership frills.  The arguements I
most often hear to justify non-member fees are 1) because show people do
it; 2) never really questioned it because of #1; 3) to encourage [ie
coerce] non-members to become members; And now 4) to pay to keep track
of mileage. I maintain that if a rider chooses not to have mileage
tracked, they have paid their way with the sanction and per rider fees;
and members pay for all the other benefits they choose to have.

>... wouldn't it would be beneficial to add YOUR voice to the sport and
to the organization?

 Non-members accept that they have no vote, no voice, no chance at
awards, etc. My point is, if you are going to make people pay ANYTHING,
they should get all of those things just like the rest of the members.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-AERC and appreciate everything they've
done for endurance riding, I'm just opposed to these fees that only
discourage participation (especially, but not limited to, the entry
level) and provide no member benefits to those that pay them.

Mia