Re: Non-member fee

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:53:08 EST, NdurN@aol.com wrote:

>Joe please noone who has responded to this issue is overlooking ride managers.
>I just do not see the connection.  If there are more fees to pay management
>just ups the entry fee.  Whats the problem?

That is the problem.  If you up the entry fee you get fewer entries.
Fundamental economics.  Now, ten bucks probably won't discourage many
50 or 100 mile riders, but it's a bigger chunk of the typical 25-mile
entry fee, and a LOT bigger chunk of a "fun ride" entry fee -- so the
impact on the number of riders will be greater at the shorter
distances.  Fewer entries means less income to the ride manager, and
can result in a loss or a bigger loss.  So the AERC gains some extra
income at the expense of the ride managers.

I really think that the Board didn't properly consider all of the
ramifications of this, they just saw a way to get some "easy money"
for the AERC coffers.  It they at least scaled it according to the
ride category, avoiding such a large amount for the short rides, and
keeping it off the "fun" rides (which the AERC doesn't even record), I
wouldn't be so worried about taking a big loss putting on a ride and I
wouldn't be fighting so hard.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net