Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:45:09 -0600 (CST)
From: "Glenda R. Snodgrass" <grs@TheNetEffect.com>
To: Joe Long <jlong@mti.net>
cc: Ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Getting to the people with the power

> >>Are you willing to pay a higher rider
> >fee to AERC so non members can ride for the same price you do?
> >Answer:
> >No
>
> So, why do you want others to pay more so that you don't have to pay
> as much?  Do you *really* think that's right?

I don't believe we're asking others to pay "more" but rather "an equitable
participation." Isn't that the principle behind a non-member fee?  Let's
do some math:  at $65/year for a single membership, a non-member would
have to do SEVEN rides in one year before he/she would be paying *more*
than I do. I'd be much better off paying $10 extra per ride, as few rides
as I'm able to do, but I joined AERC (and have renewed for 1999 already)
to support the sport (and, of course, to be able to legitimately complain
about things I don't like <BG>).

Non-members enjoy all the rights & privileges attached to participating in
a sanctioned activity of a regulated sport, even down to having mileage
tracked (which they can "recover" by paying a fee if they want to do this
at some point later on).  They should contribute *something* to the
organization which provides the structure and protections associated with
a sanctioned, regulated event.  I tried to pay the non-member fee when I
wasn't a member (didn't realize the non-member fee didn't apply to LDs and
was shocked to have the $10 refunded to me at check-in) ... because it
seems perfectly fair, reasonable, logical, and justified to me.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region