Re: Getting to the people with the power

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Nancy Mitts wrote:

> How about you other MEMBER riders. Are you willing to pay a higher rider
> fee to AERC so non members can ride for the same price you do?

Yes, especially if it lowered my dues as well.

IF the AERC incurs more costs in providing the services for sanctioning a
ride than it takes in in the sanctioning fee...then the thing to do is
raise the sanctioning fee...and yes, this makes it so the people who ride
more (use these services more) pay more than those that don't.  Which I
consider to be a good thing.

If, however, the AERC is not charging enough in sanctioning fees to cover
their costs, and it is subsidized out of the "general fund" of the AERC
dues....then it is only right that non-members contribute on a ride by
ride basis.

However, it would be much "fairer" if the AERC could get some idea of
how much it costs to provide sanctioning services (as opposed to other
member services such as awards, convention, mileage tracking) and recover
that through sanctioning fees.

Of course, this is not simple...as there are many "overhead" costs which
must be allocated among all the AERC services...but I don't know if
anybody has done this.

kat
Orange County, Calif.