Re: Getting to the people with the power

>From: jlong@mti.net (Joe Long)
>To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: Re: Getting to the people with the power
>Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 22:13:04 GMT

>I was a Director myself for 14 years.

That's great Joe, but not all the people complaining contribute anything
positive.

>>1. AERC uses money to meet memberships perceived needs & wants
>>2. How can these costs be spread fairly among the largest # of people?
>The key words there are "MEMBERSHIP needs and wants," and "fairly."
>How is it fair to force non-members to pay for members' benefits?  How
>is it fair to force ride managers into a financial loss (or a
larger>financial loss)?

The non-members benefit by having a ride to participate in.  The benefit
of a vet staff that is organized and working toward standardization. The
shared knowledge of an organization, organizational memory can prevent
every ride from re-inventing the wheel. Membership provides a grievance
procedure if things don't go the way you thought they should. Membership
provides an organization with numbers to take to gov't agencies to
advocate trail availability.
The idea is to also give financial incentive to join.

>>I think the expansion of the awards for LD was a big mistake, it
should have been kept low cost & low key. But now that it's practically
a "sport" in it's own right all the players have to pay, newbie or not.
>The "players" pay the ride entry fees, part of which already goes to
>AERC for all riders, members or not.  That is uniform for everyone,
>which is fair.  Only non-members have to pay the EXTRA fee, which is
>several times as large as the sanction fee!!!!!

The rider fee is not doing it. Without the non-member fee all ride fees
need to be increased. Would members feel better about the rider fee
being $10/rider (instead of $3)? Non-members paying the same as
members??? Not Me.

>I'm not villifying anyone.  However, I strongly believe that the Board
>made a serious mistake by not considering the impact of these fees on
>the small rides and on the people just trying out the sport -- the
>ones who are not yet committed, and whom we need to continue to
>attract if the sport is to remain viable.

You didn't, but some of the other rhetoric has boardered on personal
attack.

>>The people who are taking
>>their toys out of the game are only exacerbating the situation.
>
>No one is obligated to put on a ride, or to lose money doing so.  It
>is classic Economics 101 that as you raise the price of a
>non-essential "product" you get fewer "buyers."  It's how many a
>bankrupt business got that way, by raising prices past the point of
>diminishing returns.

It is also good marketing to promote the value of your product. Not all
consumers buy on the cheap. When it's the ride managers telling new
riders they're paying extra, it's cutting their own throat. One of my
statements above gives a few benefits of membership unrelated to awards,
etc. A lot of it is in the presentation. We can debate amongst ourselves
& try to find a better solution. It's in everyone's best interest to
present a positive light in the presence of customers (newcomers at our
rides.)
Nancy Mitts