Re: Getting to the people with the power

On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:33:07 PST, "Nancy Mitts" <mitts_n@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ellen, A more appropriate question might be, "Are the people grousing on
>Ridecamp corresponding with the directors, joining committees, and
>offering solutions?"

I was a Director myself for 14 years.

>1. AERC uses money to meet memberships perceived needs & wants
>2. How can these costs be spread fairly among the largest # of people?

The key words there are "MEMBERSHIP needs and wants," and "fairly."
How is it fair to force non-members to pay for members' benefits?  How
is it fair to force ride managers into a financial loss (or a larger
financial loss)?

>I think the expansion of the awards for LD was a big mistake, it should
>have been kept low cost & low key. But now that it's practically a
>"sport" in it's own right all the players have to pay, newbie or not.

The "players" pay the ride entry fees, part of which already goes to
AERC for all riders, members or not.  That is uniform for everyone,
which is fair.  Only non-members have to pay the EXTRA fee, which is
several times as large as the sanction fee!!!!!

>I don't have a good solution in mind either, but I hate to see people
>villified for just doing the best they can.

I'm not villifying anyone.  However, I strongly believe that the Board
made a serious mistake by not considering the impact of these fees on
the small rides and on the people just trying out the sport -- the
ones who are not yet committed, and whom we need to continue to
attract if the sport is to remain viable.

>The people who are taking
>their toys out of the game are only exacerbating the situation.

No one is obligated to put on a ride, or to lose money doing so.  It
is classic Economics 101 that as you raise the price of a
non-essential "product" you get fewer "buyers."  It's how many a
bankrupt business got that way, by raising prices past the point of
diminishing returns.

As to "stirring the pot," the Board does respond to the membership if
the cry is loud enough, so some vigorous pot-stirring is in order!

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net