mens' comfort

From: Stefanie
Email: ssosnowski@fiaaz.net

Hello.  My husband and I are interested in starting endurance and competitive trail riding.  He is a novice rider and is having a problem that I can't help him with!  How do men ride for long distances without injuring their privates and chafing.  He has an endurance saddle and is posting.  Do  men have to stand in the stirrups?  Right now he is wearing jeans and half chaps but is thinking about trying spandex or some other material like that.
Thanks for your help.