Re: Baking Soda

Hi.
     I have been recently doing some checking on the cause
of ulcers because I have been curious why our products
Bone Heal, and our new Anidophilus seems to be so
effective in relieving the symptoms in the horses using
them.
    It seems that it is now believed that ulcers are actually
caused by a bacteria which is spread by flies.  Maybe that
is another reason why stall-bound horses are much more
liable to develope ulcers.  I have been told that ulcers can
actually be treated by using an antibiotic which will kill off
the "bad" bacteria.  However, the lactobacillus products
used during and after the antibiotics actually provide the
"good" bacteria which competes for "space" in the stomache
lining, thus helping to wipe out the harmful bacteria.  Our
product has pectin in it which helps to coat the interior of
the stomache.  When people try to cut back on the "acid"
in the stomache they are actually doing the animal harm, as
the acid is needed.  When the natural coating of the stomache
gets too thin, the bacteria (helio bactr pilori--bad sp., I'm sure)
has a chance to adhere, and the ulcer is formed.
    Our Bone Heal, with it's calcium, phosphorus mix, actually
helps to coat the stomache lining while the ulcer is healing.
     I had never heard of treating ulcers with antibiotics before,
and I had never known about the bacteria being carried by flies.
I just found all this very interesting.  Thought I'd pass it on.
                                                      Linda (AVP)