Re: Baking Soda

In a message dated 98-11-25 00:56:25 EST, Tivers writes:

<< << There was a certain amount of logic to doing this in racing due to the
lactic
  acidosis that can occur with anaerobic work.  As the acid-base imbalances
that
  occur in endurance are the opposite of those that occur in flat racing, the
  logic no longer fits...

  Heidi

 Except for ulcers.

 ti >>

I have seen numerous cases of ulcers in foals and young horses in my practice
that are housed in confinement and pushed for halter and other show
disciplines.  I understand that they are common on the track, and am not
surprised, considering that most race horses are closely housed and follow a
similar management regimen.  So far I have yet to see a case in an endurance
horse, although I have heard of the occasional odd case.  Not enough for me to
mess with acid-base balances when other ulcer remedies (antacids that are not
absorbed, histamine blockers, etc.) are so much more effective.

Heidi