Easy boot as alternative?

The ad for the Easy Boot claims that it is an alternative to nail on shoes and
out lasts them 3 to 1.  Is this true?  I would love to let my horse go
barefoot this winter, but trail riding forces me to do something about the
wear and tear.  I don't want to get boriums since I will be doing plenty of
indoor riding.  Should I just use the boots when I go out riding?  I want to
get him ready for LD next spring and a jog through the woods will help us out.