Re: Baking Soda

In a message dated 98-11-24 13:36:53 EST, truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< I believe that it was very popular in standardbred racing some time ago.
At one
 point a baking soda solutions were given IV to standardbred prior to racing.
If
 I remember correctly it went under the name of "milk shakes" and has been
 outlawed on the track.

 Truman >>

There was a certain amount of logic to doing this in racing due to the lactic
acidosis that can occur with anaerobic work.  As the acid-base imbalances that
occur in endurance are the opposite of those that occur in flat racing, the
logic no longer fits...

Heidi