Baking Soda

Here's a question for debate. I'm posting this for a friend that is normally
online but is having comp problems & not on the list currently.
She is having to give a hopefully future endurance/CTR horse baking soda on a
daily basis for his kidneys.  What are the pro's & con's of this treatment?
She is afraid that this treatment may be detrimental to him in the long run.
What do you think Heidi & all?
Thanks for the response.  Will forward all responses to my friend.
Carla Jo Bass & Midnight Bay DBA +/