conditioning in winter

Hi All
I live north of Spokane, Wa and winter is here. When I get home after work it
is now dark. This weekend the wind and rain has been so bad you can't get out
and ride. Plus the snow is comming soon. Would like to know how you all keep
your horse conditioned in winter? My mare has freedom to go in and out of her
stall to a large pasture. She is six years old and we made it to one 25 mile
ride at the end of summer. I'm taking it very slow, but would like to do a 25
mile ride in early spring.
And I will never ride again without my helmet.
Thanks
Marsha