Trail usage and helmets

Talk about ridiculous....it seems that even the US Forest Srervice is NOT exempt from
being sued for negligence,,,that is, when they charge for an event or for the USE of
trails.  That means, MY Nat'l Forest that I ride in which is charging (now for the first
time on a trial basis) users fees for horseback riding can be SUED for negligence, i.e.
NOT maintaining trails and causing an accident.

It also seem that YOU AND I are NOT allowed to cut down trees that block a trail with a
chainsaw...that is, unless we first take a course THEY offer on safety.  The way around
it is stupidly simple...tell them you are cutting firewood. THAT does NOT require any
special course.  So, cut down the trees on your trail for firewood and leave it!!!!

It is also VERY true that many rangers make their own rules.  Unless they are challenged,
the rules they make stand.  So far the US Forest Service has NO rule on horseback riders
wearing helmets.

If you don't agree with what is happening in YOUR US Forest Service district..go above
them.  Chances are, they made their OWN rules and if you have a good case, you may win
after all.

Teddy (who learned this at the Trails Symposium in SC)