Re: Helmets Part VI, VII, VIII, & IX

No one is calling for a rule, but I think it is only a matter of time
until ride managers are putting themselves at risk in this suit happy
society.  The benifits of helmets are well documented and by not
requiring them, ride managers may be putting themselves at risk if it
goes to a jury.

In 96 when I was working with the state forest service to get permits
for a ride. The head ranger asked about helmets. I told him it was not
an AERC rule - except for Jr riders.  He said that in all other "special
event" activites, bike races, dirt bike races, etc. run on forest
grounds, helmets are required.
I talked him out of requiring it for all riders since helmets were
required for
Jr riders.

I think it is just a matter of time until helmets may be required on
public lands.  If there was a ride that used any of my private land, I
would require ride management to require helmets helmets.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm