Re: Mares vs. Geldings

In a message dated 11/20/98 9:36:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wind@visionsofthewind.com writes:

<< Wonder-drug of the gods! :-) Actually, it's a hormone drug that
 suppresses the heat cycle in mares.

May I share a humorous story about ReguMate? We have an older broodmare who is
about 11 weeks in foal. We have her on ReguMate for the first 100 days of her
pregnancy. This is a routine procedure in some cases. The ReguMate suppresses
ovulation and helps prevent absorbtion (sp?) or abortion of the fetus. After
the first 100 days, breeders figure the foal is well "anchored" and won't
abort. Anyway, one morning I was starting to draw the 10cc of ReguMate into a
syringe to squirt onto her grain when I heard the phone ring. I left all the
stuff on the barn floor and ran for the house. When I came back, everything
was there but the bottle of ReguMate. I couldn't remember where I had put it.
I looked all around and still couldn't find it. Then I looked over at our
Border Collie (who eats anything that doesn't bite him first -- loves fruit in
particular) and there was the bottle of ReguMate between his paws and quite a
bit of it on the ground. I had to replace it, of course; I lost about 100 cc
or $117 worth! Didn't seem to hurt the dog at all, but then he's a neuter, so
I guess it wouldn't have affected him. You can bet I'm very careful to watch
the dog and put the ReguMate up on a shelf.

Barbara McCrary