Mares vs. Geldings

Hi all -

Welcome to the list Sylvia this is the best place for distance riding
information you'll find (IMHO).

I ride both a mare & gelding & find what John Lyons says is true - Stallions &
Mares take a lot more time to train than geldings.  When mares threaten,
believe them they will follow through on a threat.  You have 28 days to train
a mare & hopefully that will carry you through the heat cycle if she is cranky
- this is NOT the time for tough lessons or confrontations.

I recently had to relearn this last lesson a couple of weeks ago.  Took my
mare to gaited show to school around the gaited horse activity & costumes.
She had her own agenda which did not include the distractions I thought I
would train with.  Anyway it seemed NOTHING I tried would bring her attention
back to me & what really pissed me off was her ground manners went south also.
After 2.5 hrs. of this nonsense I packed up for home completely bummed.  Up to
this point, I refused to have any excuses not to train or expect stellar
behavior (a little compulsive - granted).  She was in a ROARING heat so I
thought I'll just ride the gelding for a couple of days so I don't kill her.
Couple of days later, she is back to normal & on we go with our lives.

It so happens that I got J.L.'s Perfect Horse with an article about mares
which prompted me to review other articles I've saved & rediscovered the part
about mares carrying through their threats is pushed too far.  Now I thank my
lucky stars I quit when I did bummed or not.

Sorry this is so long got a little carried away.  One last thing - while I
have different issues with my mare, she is by far the most exciting, honest
performer & takes better care of herself as far as eating & drinking on the
trail.

Try a mare -

Lori, Sky & Packy
AZ