Re: cowboys and helmuts

Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:

> paddi wrote:
> >
> > We went riding last summer at a little place called empty town in
> > Alberta.
> > The cowboys we were with laughed at our  helmets.

Mike & I went to a "fun" ride one year when I was still riding my 14.2
<petite> arab mare.  (Remember, I ride HW.)  NOBODY wore helmets and
EVERYONE had on jeans.  They had a "long ride" (25 miles) and a "short
ride" (12-15 miles).  The short ride followed the long ride's trail but
cut off a few loops.

As we left the camp, we were alongside 2 "cowboys" (ropes, hats,
bullwhips, bedrolls) and a little boy decked out like Dad & Uncle.
Little boy says, "Dad, look!  That big fat lady in the helmet & funny
tights is riding that lil bitty ayraby horse!  Think they'll finish?"
Dad hushes child as they break off to follow the short trail.

Close to the end of our ride, we're letting the guys graze in a meadow
after swimming them in a pond.  What do we see but 3 tired, SADDLE SORE
cowboys leading their horses down the short ride trail.  I couldn't
resist saying "That big lady on the little arab does ok, doesn't she?"
as we rode off.

Nobody made fun of me, my helmet, tights, funny saddle (no horn) & my
chestnut mare in hot pink biothane the next two days :-)  In fact, I
sold quite a bit of biothane gear when they saw me cleaning it by
dipping it in a bucket!

Linda Flemmer