Re: cowboys and helmuts

paddi wrote:

> We went riding last summer at a little place called empty town in
> Alberta.
> The cowboys we were with laughed at our  helmets. We told them they
> could laugh if they caught us and we would listen if they could stay
> with us. We all left together and  kicked into a trot after 1 mile we
> lost the first cowboy and after 3 we were all alone. :-D
> Rode the rest of the time with no helmet jokes.
> Paddi

I had something similar happen to me once, although it didn't have
anything to do with helmets.  Some of the li'l darlings at Cal Poly (you
know the type, they come to lecture in immaculate riding breeches and
boots and never groom or saddle their own horses) were snickering when I
introduced myself as an endurance rider---not because of the endurance
part, but because I am definitely not the tiny fainting violet size
rider.  I put up with this for about a week, then invited them out for a
ride, and told them I'd give them 50 points of extra credit in the class
I was teaching if they could keep up with me for 20 miles.  Of course,
their attitude was that all it takes to ride forever is to look good in
Harry Hall breeches.

Heh heh.  Rode their spoiled little butts right into the ground, let
them wimp out after an EASY ten miles, spent the entire next week asking
why they were walking so funny and never heard again about how I don't
look like a rider.

What I REALLY wish is that Jim Bumgardner had been around---I suspect he
wouldn't have let them wimp out and would have been driving them from
behind with a cattle prod.:-D

Susan