Re: helmets

In a message dated 11/17/98 12:24:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, LBHBHNCK@FTC-
I.NET writes:

<< Amen!
 I, too can thank my helmet for protecting my head. My horse was recently
 stung by a jellowjacket in a sensitive area, and bucked me off. I landed
 on my head on a hardpacked clay dirt road.The helmet was cracked, but
 that saved my skull. It made me dizzy for a few minutes, and I had a
 slight headache for the rest of the afternoon. Otherwise I was fine.
 It is a rule at our house that if you ride you wear a helmet. Our
 grandchildren have grown up with that idea, and it's a good habit to
 have.
 Lucie H for her 8 grandchildren who will be grounded if they are ever
 caught on a horse without a helmet. >>

I've said it before on ridecamp -- I won't even get on my most trusted horse
without a helmet.  So far -- knock on wood -- I haven't landed on my head and
cracked a helmet, but I want it to be there in case I do.  Now if I could
protect the rest of the body ----  (I, too ran into a yellowjacket's nest on
my most trusted horse).  Two broken ribs, 2 cracked vetebrae ----  a long time
recovering and reconditioning.

BMc