Re: Consumer Alert

In a message dated 11/17/98 11:01:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jfhr@inetworld.net writes:

<< I took my P/U to "Sears Automotive Center",&nbsp;
 They check the battery and said that it was almost dead, they recharged
 the battery.&nbsp; They did not even offer to replace
 the battery at all.

You probably have a local Consumer Action agency that might be able to help
you.  Otherwise, you might consider persisting vigorously, not showing any
signs of backing down, and go on attempting to get an adjustment that
satisfies you.  Be sure you have documentation of purchase date, etc. to show.
Also, you might call Sears HQs, wherever that might be (Chicago?) and ask to
talk to a customer service rep.  Or write to the same.  Hang in there --
customers have a lot of power these days.  Not so much of the "you bought it,
tough luck!" approach these days.

Spoken from experience and from an approach that I won't tolerate that kind of
treatment from a business, especially from a large one.  Be sure that you
don't ever take unfair advantage of a business.  I've heard of people who buy
something -- I think outdoor furniture was the item mentioned -- use it during
the summer, then return it in the fall and say they didn't like it.  That's
really LOW.  Good luck.

Barbara McCrary