Q re girth position

I sincerely hope that I am at the end of my Great Saddle Hunt <g> but have
a question for the group first:

In playing with the rigging on my lovely new Stonewall, I've discovered
that it all seems to work best on Lakota when the girth is moved quite a
bit farther back than normal, pretty well centered on his belly (remember,
now, Lakota is the World's Tiniest Horse, so the center of his belly is
only 6" from each end of his belly :)).  This puts the girth about 4-6"
father back than the "usual spot" where an English girth would go.

So, is this a problem?  What is the logic behind typical girth placement?
We haven't done any real distance like this yet, but I thought I'd throw
it out for comments, things to look for, etc.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region