Re: Q re girth position

Glenda R. Snodgrass wrote:

> In playing with the rigging on my lovely new Stonewall, I've discovered
> that it all seems to work best on Lakota when the girth is moved quite a
> bit farther back than normal, pretty well centered on his belly <SNIP>
> So, is this a problem?  What is the logic behind typical girth placement?

You have found what western folks call a "Center-Fire" rigging.  This brings
the girth in a middle of the saddle position.

Advantages:  It is further back from the horse's front leg - less chance the
girth will irritate the horse behind his elbow.

Neutral:  Rigging changes may change how the saddle fits the back ever so
slightly.  This can be good or bad.

Negative:  The girth may be under your leg (fiddle with the adjustment a bit)

I prefer adjustable rigging -two of our endurance saddles have them.  Use what
seems to work best for your horse.  My husband's horse strides out much better
with a center fire rigging - no irritation behind his elbows when he gets into
that HUGE (22 mph) trot.  My gelding seems to prefer his girth further
forward, but he is so large through the barrel the center fire position just
doesn't sit right on him.

Linda Flemmer
Sitting at home with the flu