Re: Mud-licking horses

Dear Maureen

I'm sure you are absolutely right about that. Even though I do electrolyte
him after any ride - training or otherwise, if he wants to drink from muddy
puddles I'm sure he knows what he's doing. On an endurance ride when we're
being crewed, at the moment, he won't drink from the buckets of nice clean
water we offer him. Instead he hangs on until he's really thirsty then he
will drink whatever. So any time he wants to drink, provided it's not an
oily puddle I will let him.

I'm still going to electrolyte as and when necessary - he sweats a lot, even
in Winter, so after almost every ride really he needs something.

Thanks

annette