Re: Mud-licking horses

Hi Annette,

When I first started endurance riding( millions of years ago,) I worried
because my mare ALWAYS drank out of mud puddles instead of nice streams.
( I knew it was warmer, but she would do it even if warm, clean water
was available.)

Once, when talking  to a ride vet, I mentioned that someday we would
find out she knew something we didn"t! ) He replied--"we already do.
Electrolytes seep through the ground, along with needed minerals.  Let
her drink the muddy stuff--she knows what she is doing!")  So--even
though I thought I was giving her everything, perhaps she knew better!

Maureen