President's message

I had some problems with the Dane Frazier's message in this month's
Endurance News.  Did anybody notice the quote,

"I drove there in a $30,000 truck pulling a $20,000 trailer containing
$5,000 worth of tack and $1,000 worth of horse with a $50 shoe job?

Seems to me there's some problems with priorities there.  I drove to my
last ride in a borrowed van, pulling a $1,800 trailer, with a $5,000
horse (my recently upgraded appraisal) and a $80 shoe job.  I don't think
we have the same priorities. :-)  Now, if he means he GAVE $1,000 for the
horse, O.K.  but if that's all it's WORTH  that's another story.  Anybody
know how he placed?  Sounded like it might have been the Poetry Fantasy
ride in Texas.

I'm not a LD person, but I'm against the $10 fee for non-members in LD
rides.  My ride charges $40 for the LD ride.  I think that's about all we
should charge.  If they charged us another $10 we'd probably have to
absorb it (and we lost money at the last ride).  That means, either no
tent for the ride meeting, fewer porto-johns (we've got woods), one less
vet, or some real nice hoof picks for completion awards.  If you consider
LD rides the place where you hook in new members, then you want to keep
the price down.  If people make a career of it, they have to join anyway
to get credit.

Angie McGhee & Kaboot
Wildwood, GA
Rides2far@juno.com
Kabootnme@aol.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]