Re: Easyboots - shock abosrbtion

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Robert Morris wrote:

> I believe this dissipates considerable shock and subsequent vibration. Yes,
> I have heard all the expert farriers state the foot lands flat and does not
> slide but then after questioning them individually they admit they are
> thinking of horses in the show ring.

I suspect that there are horses, even in the show ring, for which the hoof
does not land flat, but I have seen enough tracks of horses on the trail
to know that the hoof does not slide along the ground after is strikes
(except in the mud...then you can see the "skid marks" easily).

I don't know how much shock absorption the foot not landing flat would
have, it would certainly contribute to "slowing down the deceleration
process" that Nicco spoke of.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

> Remember, the feral horse runs on quite rough and hard ground with minimal
> problems.

These horses don't have riders on their backs, but more inportantly, they
also don't have shoes on their feet, making it so that the hoof itself can
act as a shock absorber.